Wednesday, February 22, 2006

No News is Bad News



Its funny how you get attached to the news. Every day you turn on the tv in the morning, sometimes at noon when you're not working, at night for primetime news...you really just take it for granted. I've always enjoyed the morning program at KTVU-2. So it wasn't a surpirse for me to wonder why on my last week in the bay area I never saw Noreen again. I mean, she had probably been gone for some time. But like I say, its funny how you get attached to the news....news people, anyway.

It was her eyes. They were tired. They've been through a lot. They carry a lot of experience. It was heartwarming to find out later that Noreen had been a longtime resident (and local favorite) in New Mexico.....where she has returned (http://www.kfoxtv.com/noreen/index.html).

This brings me back to the days when I was travelling a lot. I would be somewhere in Argentina, Toronto, or Colorado, but when I turned on the TV all I had to do was turn to CNN Headline News and I would feel right at home. Of course, that was when Lynne Russell was still anchoring it.


Lynne just had a great way of delivering the news. She was always calm and poised. She'd be smiling a bit but you'd never really know what that meant.

I think I was somewhere in Orlando when I was watching her last broadcast. They showed a lot of odd clips. My favorite was Lynne finishing a bit of news, and then slapping a post-it on her forehead.

I miss you, Lynne. Headline News has never been the same since you left.

No comments: