Friday, November 03, 2006

Shawn Colvin and Brandi Carlile


In my recent trip down to Portland, I got tickets to see Shawn Colvin. The best part of it was that her opening act was Brandi Carlile. I missed out on Brandi's shows in Seattle so this was a chance to see her perform songs from her current album. She started off with covers from Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan, and then proceeded to original tracks, including "Follow", "Tragedy", and "Closer to You".

When Shawn Colvin's turn came up, she started with a cover as well (performing "Smile", an old BeeGees song). I've watched Shawn perform live on TV (and DVD), but I have to say that watching her in the flesh is priceless. Her voice is really strong and live is just the best way to enjoy her music. Midway through her set she invited Brandi to do a duet and Brandi, ever admitting that she's a big fan, was a little tense in the beginning. But Shawn, ever the old pro, calmed her down and gave her a back rub (which would probably cause any devoted fan to faint ;) ). After the song, Shawn thanked Brandi and even added some humor ("...she's so sweet, she even brushed her teeth before coming on stage...she must be all grossed out at me!").

After the set, I was on my way out when I heard her come back to do a quick song (because of something...maybe to buy time for the crew...another set was coming up)...and to my surprise....she did Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy"...now that was a treat!

No comments: