Monday, August 06, 2007

Nickel Creek and Fiona Apple



I had a feeling it would be quite a while before a new Fiona Apple record comes out (if at all)....so when I heard Fiona was joining Nickel Creek's tour, I jumped at the chance to try and travel to one of the venues.....and it just happened to be the one in Charlotte's Ovens Auditorium.

I have to admit that I am still new to Nickel Creek.....having only seen them with Fiona at southern California's Largo (and Fi's EM dvd-dualdisc).....I do have their breakthrough album (This Side) and am growing really fond of it....which really isn't much of a stretch for me as their music is very close to Alison Krauss & Union Station.

When they finally did introduce Fi, I wondered how her songs would turn out. Extraordinary Machine and Paper Bag came out really well and as expected (they've performed them at Largo)....but Criminal and Limp came as reall surprises for me......and made me reach a discovery that these songs had a southern take....or was is just the bluegrass getting to me :) ?

Having seen them in Fi's dvd, I was wishing for Tonight You Belong to Me......and wouldn't you know it....it was the last song of the evening :)

No comments: