Sunday, August 14, 2005

I'm so sorry Woody....


Kirk Rueter was designated for assignment today. I am so sad to hear about this....I really like Woody and I really wanted to see him retire as a Giant. He was bitter about how this all came about and I can only invent the situation as to why it took 40 days to finally release him: it was just too hard to let go.

I don't care what the stat-wizards say about him, and other players for that matter. When people say this player has 'heart', there is no stat that can record that. And Woody had a lot of heart. It is the unquantifiable trait that makes a player a great teamate, a resilient spirit, and decent character. Woody showed to us that it doesn't take a power arm to be successful. Just play smart and you will be able to get the job done. When you hear a veteran say "this kid has heart", you're looking at the untangible. I know long after their careers are done, Woody, Marquis Grissom, and JT Snow will always be in this category.

No comments: