Monday, October 09, 2006

The Horse Whisperer


While sifting through all the magazines i was collating for my scrapbook i found myself watching this film. Seeing Scarlett Johansson in her debut reminded me how not much has changed about her to this day. She will always have that blunt look in her eyes. The more I watched, the more I wish Tommy Lee Jones played the lead character. I just couldn't see Robert Redford as this horse whisperer...Tommy Lee would have been perfect (and he's a real rancher).

I really think that romance between Kristin Scott Thomas and Redford should have been taken out (or done differently). It just felt gratuitous and unoriginal. This reminds me of how well director Clint Eastwood portrayed the chemistry between Tommy Lee Jones and Marcia Gay Harden in Space Cowboys. It held just a few moments in the film but delivered really well. Sometimes it's the short powerful moments that count.

Why does Sam Neil always play the husband destined to be abandoned? Poor guy. I appreciated the fact that in this movie it wasn't a cliche "terrible-husband-definitely-leave-him" character but a person who had a clear grip on the reality of the relationship and was very honest about it (way to go, 'mate).

No comments: