Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Warfield Reopens

Reading through news on the net lead me to this article about the Warfield in San Francisco re-opening after a renovation. Despite a lot of efforts towards conservation, old buildings these days are always on the brink of demolition. I hope this latest chapter for the Warfield gives it more longevity. It's a memorable place for me because I've seen a lot of performances in this theater. One special memory is watching Fiona Apple for the first time, then promoting her Tidal album. I can still recall how the lights turned off, the crowd cheered, and the intro to "The Child is Gone" started. As the track built up to the first piano chords and finally her voice, that low overpowering voice suddenly captures you and you are smitten for the entire evening.

No comments: