Thursday, August 21, 2008

Radiohead's NW Visit


I don't know why but I've never had a desire to see Radiohead live, but since they were in town and I miraculously landed a lawn seating ticket (the show was supposed to be sold out), hey what the heck! The weather wasn't particularly cooperative but it did clear up before the show started (and didn't drizzle again 'till around the encore).

I don't think I've ever seen a band command so much respect from its audience. A lot of the tracks were subdued and stripped down and so had a lot of either silent or soft sections. During these sections, the crowd was dead silent. Sure, you'll hear a little scream here or there, but its not like a scream inside a subway station.....its like a scream inside a church!

Thom's voice is unique and I don't think I ever fully appreciated it until this live experience. Hearing him perform "there there" and "videotape" sent chills up my spine (and no, it wasn't the weather!)

No comments: