Tuesday, June 28, 2005

I Shot Andy Warhol

So I finally found the time to watch I Shot Andy Warhol yesterday and was just impressed at the intensity that Lili Taylor brought to the role. It's not a likeable character and she plays it to perfection. The self-destructive nature of Lili's Valerie reminded me of Jennifer Jason Leigh's performance in Georgia. You feel so uneasy watching her and that's what makes the performance a great one.

Actors who play villains can always measure their success by the reaction of people towards them. If people see them on the street and give em the evil eye, they know they've done their job. Lili made me feel irritated and I could feel my hair rise whenever she spoke.
I found the absence of tears interesting. She never broke down crying. The point of frustration was always climaxed with bursts of anger, which is probably fitting for the insanity that possessed her character.

I truly enjoyed Jarred Harris' portrayal of Andy Warhol. I have to be honest in that I don't really know that much about Andy Warhol, but whatever character Jarred Harris put out there was pure gold for me. Andy's character was somewhere between being sober and stoned and I find that a lot of people really are that way, including myself. It can be seen in many ways. It could be found in daydreaming, indifference, restraint, fetishism, or trauma. I'm sure it appears so weird to most, but so normal to me.

No comments: