Monday, July 11, 2005

The Grifters

Flame on! I just saw The Fantastic Four last night and upon arriving at my home, I was still wide awake....it was 12:40am...and as I tried to get myself to sleep I caught The Grifters on IFC. This film had outstanding performances by John Cusack and Angelica Huston. I've always liked John Cusack and I'm happy to see him transcend to really good roles over the years. I remember him as the dork in The Sure Thing and Better Off Dead. Those were fun movies....pretty much like Fast Times at Ridgemont High, a spinoff of 80's themes, in a way.

Since then he's done really well, with performances in Fat Man Little Boy, Gross Pointe Blank, City Hall, and High Fidelity. He still is the dork...just the one who's grown a lot older, and has been through more in life (pretty much like a lot of us).

Angelica Huston will always be Morticia Addams to me :). I don't know of anyone else who could have played that role....as I can never think of anyone who can match Raul Julia's role as Gomez.

The Grifters is a story about con men (and women). They portray the story really well as they expose the fact that grifting isn't this high-society fantasy, mobster dominating lifestyle, but rather a cutthroat game of survival.

The ending is twisted and painful. A true grift 'till the end.

No comments: