Friday, July 15, 2005

The List: Track Singles - July 15, 2005

My Favorite Tracks - July 15, 2005

This is the beginning of a series where I will state my favorite tracks and will probably continue to do so every now and then, as these lists do change over time. Given that this is the first one I am bound to dig back and that may explain why a lot of artists are from the 80's...I just have to give due credit for the ones from that generation who I still interest me to this day.
This list is not in any specific order....only by memory , I guess. I'll just fire away as the songs pop up in my head...so I guess it is in order....in order of appearance in my memory ;).

And so...here it is...


  1. Woman in Chains (Tears for Fears) - Yes, this has to be first on the list simply because it is one of the oldest tracks that I can recall from memory that really makes the list 100% of the time. Its a song about a lingering personal struggle that doesn't seem to have an end in sight until the end, when a suggestion is put forward....and the rest is up to you. This track has a personal twist to it in that this song has been with me everytime I've had to deal with a relationship that appears to be ending. And so it leads me...it's under my skin, but out of my hands, I'd tear it apart, but I won't understand....
  2. Why Should I Cry for You? (Sting) - This track has personal history behind it not too far from "Woman in Chains". There was a time when I would play it back-to-back all the time. WIC would be first wave, this would be the next...or if WIC was acceptance, this was probably denial.
  3. Broken (Tears for Fears) - The unsung hero of Songs from the Big Chair. It appears in the album in two versions(studio and live), sandwiched around Head over Heels. The heavy bass and drum in the beginning, followed by Roland's electric guitar set the mood, and then the lyrics...between the searching and the need to work it out...I stop believing everything will be alright....broken.... It's a very short track, which makes you think if it was really meant to be that way, and whether breaking it up into two and putting Head over Heels in between the two versions was just a coincidence. Would you like another double to go with that corona?
  4. The River (PJ Harvey) - How i wish PJ would perform this live one day...or probably not...for fear I'd probably melt like Belloch in Raider's of the Lost Ark's finale. It is a song of regret, of wanting to be normal, of feeling betrayed by one's self, or two people's desire to be like everyone else, yet yearning to be free of judgement.
  5. Creep (Radiohead) - Scathing lyrics, screeching guitar riffs, and that monster howl...who would not want this song beside them when they're so close to the bottom of that downward spiral? These are words that a lot of people think more than they say...and now they have been released...thank you, Thom.
  6. Elsewhere (Sarah McLachlan)
  7. We Do What We Can (Sheryl Crow)
  8. Do What You Have to Do (Sarah McLachlan)
  9. Home (Sheryl Crow)
  10. Diamond in the Rough (Shawn Colvin)
  11. 32 Flavors (Ani Di Franco)
  12. West Point (Jonatha Brooke)
  13. You Learn (Alanis Morissette)
  14. Bring Me Somewhere Nice (Mogwai)
  15. Hunted by a Freak (Mogwai)
  16. Mystereons (Portishead)
  17. Why Should I Lie? (Luscious Jackson)
  18. Glory Box (Portishead)
  19. Never is a Promise (Fiona Apple)
  20. Oh Well (Fiona Apple)
  21. Precious Things (Tori Amos)
  22. I'm Alive (Shelby Lynne)
  23. Time (Alan Parsons Project)
  24. Packt of Sardines (Radiohead)
  25. Maybe (Alison Krauss and Union Station)
  26. We Hide and Seek (Alison Krauss and Union Station)
  27. Limp (Fiona Apple)
  28. Medication (Garbage)
  29. You Look So Fine (Garbage)
  30. Nothing Sacred (Jonatha Brooke)

....ok I'll stop here for now.

No comments: