Friday, July 29, 2005

Two Pals in Dire Straits

I was saddened to read about JT Snow this morning. The article had a little blurb that indicated he might be traded, despite his desire to stay in San Francisco and retire a Giant. I really like JT and admire his defense at 1st base. I have to say its him and Kirk Reuter that I like most in that team and I really would like to see them both retire as Giants. I know its a business and I can only hope that Brian Sabean can find the flexibility to keep them both for at least one more year, which is I think enough time for them to retire on their own terms.

JT already hinted that he wanted to stay at least one more year and I don't see it a problem for him backing up Lance Niekro. I think Lance would really benefit from having JT as a mentor. It also works to have both a left-handed and right-handed batter at 1st base, so I see this is as possible. I'm really worried about Woody (Kirk). His desire is to continue to pitch in the rotation. I think it might be a stretch for Brian to allow him another year in the rotation (but I would be very thankful if he went that way) and I thought he would have been ok with the shift to the bullpen. But I guess in the baseball world, or at least in the pitcher's fraternity, a starter moving to the bullpen is a bad thing and that probably is eating at Kirk. I'd like to think that he probably just wants to retire a starter.

I would want nothing more than to see these guys retire as Giants. And perhaps, return to help the team in the future......JT could be a bench coach....Woody could replace Mark Gardner in the pen someday.

No comments: