Sunday, August 06, 2006

The Squid and the Whale


It's been a long time since I last saw a powerful performance by a young actor...a long time since....well, Natalie Portman in The Professional (Leon). Owen Kline's portrayal of Frank Bernard's character was so scarring I couldn't imagine how his parents were convinced into allowing him to play the part. Maybe times are changing. Owen had the best lines and his facial expressions and delivery was just so dead on it whacks you in the head every time.

I literally watched this film again immediately after I finished browsing through the special features. It just left me thirsty for more misery from these characters.

I have a weak spot for Laura Linney (especially when she ties her hair) and she is just able to portray tortured characters really well. I think Jeff Daniels is such an underrated actor and this movie just totally should show people his range. Could you ever imagine him here and then watch Dumb and Dumber?...totally different personalities and absolutely non-interchangeable.

I thank Stephen King for giving that last push for me to get this DVD. I had it in mind but forgot it in all the madness going on in my life...but after reading his article and declaring The Squid and the Whale as the best...hell, I won't argue with the king :).

Dear reader...don't miss out on this one.

No comments: